Diathermia is a surgical terms which means use of heat from high frequency electric current to heal tissues, seal blood vessels or cut certain tissues to get specific results.
There are two types of diathermia, bipolar diathermia and mono polar diathermia. In mono polar patients forms a part of the circuit where as in bipolar diathermy patient’s body acts as a conductor for flow of electric current between tongs attached to a specific tissue.
Responses of body are received from heat effect. Effects of increase in heat than the normal are as under:-
- 1 degree C rise reduces mild inflammation and speeds up metabolism
- Rise of 2 to 3°C lessens throbbing and muscle ripple
- Rise above 3 to 4 °C helps in better tissue extensibility
Diathermia can be used against following:-
- Muscle sprain
- Partial paralysis
- Tendon sprains
- Joint contractures
- Local repose
- Deceased joint firmness
- Increased extensibility of collagen fibers
- Increased flow of blood
- Decrease severe& unrelieved twinge
Cosmetically diathermia can be used to treat following:-
- Calcium deposits
- Spots of aging and sun burns
- Deposits of cholesterol
- Lumps including planter lumps
It is not at all a painful or burning kind of treatment. It just takes half an hour to get rid of your body moles without any pain.